Lesson 11 – Data Query in a Federated Environment
Lesson 12 – Big Data Meets Healthcare
Due: March 13, 2018 by 11:59PM UTC-12. Submit your essay as a PDF (“Essay 8 – <gt_username>.pdf” format) via Canvas.
In lesson 11, you learned about “Data Query in a Federated Environment”.
In lesson 12, you learned about “Big Data Meets Healthcare”.
This essay provides you an opportunity to reflect on the impact of these concepts.
Proficient English reading, writing and research skills. Strong suggestion that you use the recommended reading for background and use short quotes from it as appropriate. Provide at least 4 references to back up your key points.
Essay should have no more than the maximum word count of 1500 words. We suggest ~1200 words. This essay must be single spaced, with 12-point font and submitted as a PDF. The word limit will be enforced — only the first 1500 words of your essay will be graded. Note: The questions require more of a short answer response than essay – just remember to cite appropriately, as though in an essay.
Compare and Contrast the terms Public Health and Population Health. (~300 words, 1.0 points)
- Why are these terms considered interchangeable and sometimes difficult to distinguish?
- What are some of the activities that are included in each?
- Why are they important?
- Why were these terms included in a course called Health Informatics?
- Explain some of the problems behind performing big data analysis on Electronic Health Record (EHR) data. (~300 words, 1.0 points)
Define and Describe i2b2. (~300 words, 1.0 points)
- Provide example.
- List its benefits and challenges.
- Why is it important?
- Why was this included in a course called Health Informatics?
- Personal Reflection: Will the migration from Paper Records to Digital Records increase the overall patient hospital experience? Provide insight and thought to your reasoning and explanation. (~300 words, 1.0 points)
** Examples should not be ones included in Lessons 11 or 12
Be as specific as possible and use the lectures as a starting point in responding to these questions. Look for and cite applicable sources that provide support for your responses.
Please use the APA format for citations. If you have additional questions on this, please post on Piazza.
Your essay will be scanned via a Plagiarism Checker, so please sure to double check, triple check your work and citations. The first offense will yield a “0” and the second will be followed with a “F” in the course and a formal report. By completing this assignment, you are agreeing to abide by the GT Honor Code.