The HL7 FHIR Interoperability Standard
Due: February 18, 2018 by 11:59PM UTC-12. Submit your essay as a PDF (“Essay 5 – <gt_username>.pdf” format) via Canvas.
In lesson 8, you learned about origin and implementation of HL7 FHIR Interoperability standard. This essay provides you an opportunity to reflect on the impact of this standard.
Proficient English reading, writing and research skills. Strong suggestion that you use the recommended reading for background and use short quotes from it as appropriate. Provide at least 4 references to back up your key points.
Essay should have no more than the maximum word count of 1200 words. We suggest ~1000 words. This essay must be single spaced, with 12-point font and submitted as a PDF. The word limit will be enforced — only the first 1200 words of your essay will be graded. Note: The questions require more of a short answer response than essay – just remember to cite appropriately, as though in an essay.
- When FHIR was first under development, a series of key questions had to be asked and answered. What were some of them? And who are the stakeholders in an effort like this? Who was doing the asking? (~200 words, 0.6 points)
- Describe Grahame’s philosophy in terms of key principles. Be sure to consider relationships to other concepts we have discussed so far. (~300 words, 0.8 points)
- Briefly describe three different types of representations which may be used for FHIR resources. What are some considerations in choosing from among these different types of representations? (~200 words, 0.6 points)
- Explain what absolute URIs are: What are they and what problem do they solve? And how does this concept relate to FHIR? (~200 words, 0.6)
- What is the goal of the Argonaut project and why do you think it is important? (~100 words, 0.4 points)
Be as specific as possible and use the lectures as a starting point in responding to these questions. Look for and cite applicable sources that provide support for your responses.
Please use the APA format for citations. If you have additional questions on this, please post on Piazza.
Your essay will be scanned via a Plagiarism Checker, so please sure to double check, triple check your work and citations. The first offense will yield a “0” and the second will be followed with a “F” in the course and a formal report. By completing this assignment, you are agreeing to abide by the GT Honor Code.