Health Informatics in the Real World
Due: January 28, 2018 by 11:59PM UTC-12. Submit your essay as a PDF (“Essay 2 – <gt_username>.pdf” format) via Canvas.
In lessons 3-5 you learned more about Health Informatics and how it impacts the world today. This essay provides you an opportunity to reflect on the impact of those concepts and connections.
Proficient English reading, writing and research skills. Strong suggestion that you use the recommended reading for background and use short quotes from it as appropriate. Provide at least 4 references to back up your key points.
Essay should have no more than the maximum word count of 1500 words. We suggest ~1400 words. This essay must be single spaced, with 12-point font and submitted as a PDF. The word limit will be enforced — only the first 1500 words of your essay will be graded. Note: The questions require more of a short answer response than essay – just remember to cite appropriately, as though in an essay.
- What are EHRs and EMRs? How do they compare and differ? (~100 words, 0.2 points)
- In detail, define the ONC. How does ONC impact healthcare vendors and EHRs? (~150 words, 0.3 points)
- What is Meaningful Use? (~200 words, 0.3 points)
- Should patients be the aggregation point for all or any of their health data? Why or why not? (~200 words, 0.2 points)
- Describe the challenges around PHRs? (~200 words, 0.3 points)
- Explain the Blue Button on FHIR Project and how the idea was formulated. (~100 words, 0.1 points)
- How does Interoperability and Meaningful Use relate? (~150 words, 0.2 points)
- What is the Health Information Exchange? How does Privacy, Security and Trust relate to the Health Information Exchange? (~250 words, 0.4 points)
Be as specific as possible and use the lectures as a starting point in responding to these questions. Look for and cite applicable sources that provide support for your responses.
Please use the APA format for citations. If you have additional questions on this, please post on Piazza.
Your essay will be scanned via a Plagiarism Checker, so please sure to double check, triple check your work and citations. The first offense will yield a “0” and the second will be followed with a “F” in the course and a formal report. By completing this assignment, you are agreeing to abide by the GT Honor Code.